Councilman Kellar under fire for 'racist' comment
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Santa Clarita city councilman is under fire over the alleged racist remarks he made during a recent anti-immigration rally.
"I find it disappointing that people would want to call Bob Kellar as racist," said Santa Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar. "Clearly they don't have a clue who I am."
Kellar is under fire for what he said at an anti-illegal immigration rally on Jan. 16.
He quoted President Teddy Roosevelt, who said, "One flag, one language" -- a statement that he said he made at a city council meeting a couple of years ago.
In a YouTube video clip Kellar could be seen saying: "The only thing I heard back from people is, 'Bob, you sound like a racist.' I said that's good, if that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist."
That sparked heated rallies both for and against the councilman before Tuesday night's meeting. It's an issue that has people expressing strong opinions here.
"I think what he said was taken out of context, obviously," said Santa Clarita resident Wesley Kokas. "But it was a very stupid thing to say."
"If he would have said something about African-Americans, people would have begged him right there to step down," said Santa Clarita resident Mayra Reyna.
When asked if he felt he owed anyone an apology over his remarks, Kellar said no. Any regrets?
"The aspect that some words that I may have said have caused anybody to be upset, I think you could probably say I'm not thrilled about that," said Kellar. "Maybe we could go so far to say I regret that aspect. I stand behind my words."
santa clarita valley, politics, sid garcia
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 22 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled 18 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt 14 min ago
- Yucaipa High teacher accused of sex with teen
- Woman assaulted near Pizza Hut in Lancaster
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Rooney to be buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour