Alarcon could be suspended from council
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A day after Los Angeles City Councilman Richard Alarcon was indicted on felony charges of voter fraud, he said he will continue to serve on the city council with the support of the mayor.
"These charges are related to my residency and have nothing to do with my work as a council member," said Alarcon, who pleaded innocent to the charges.
Alarcon and his wife, Flora Montes De Oca Alarcon, were indicted on 24 felony counts for perjury and voter fraud, stemming from allegations that Alarcon was living at a residence outside the council district that he represents and had lied about living at an address within the district.
Under Section 211 of the city charter, Alarcon could be suspended from service in the city council while he is on trial for felony charges.
L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said he saw no reason the city would take such measures at this time.
"We live in a country where we're innocent until proven guilty," he said. "I'm gonna assume he's innocent right now, much as we all should. Unless there is something else to the contrary, that's evidence to the contrary."
The residence where Alarcon claims to live in his district is in Panorama City. Investigators carried on a months-long investigation in which they determined that he had been living in another home nearby in Sun Valley, which is outside his district. In 2007 Alarcon unsuccesfully tried to have the district boundaries redrawn to include that address.
A former state senator and assemblyman, Alarcon has served as the representative for Council District 7, which includes parts of the northeastern San Fernando Valley since 2007.
san fernando valley, politics, john north
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke