Brown apologizes for swipe at Clinton
California Attorney General Jerry Brown apologized Monday to former President Bill Clinton after a video surfaced of the Brown taking a swipe at Clinton over the weekend.
The apology comes after a Meg Whitman political advertisement released last week showing Clinton criticizing Brown during a 1992 presidential debate. In the ad, Clinton says brown doesn't tell the truth.
Here's how Brown responded in an exclusive time magazine video posted on Time.com:
"Meg Whitman, she stops at nothing. She's even got Clinton lying about me. Did you see that? Where he said I raised taxes? It's a lie. I mean, Clinton's a nice guy, but whoever said he told the truth? You remember there's a whole story there about 'did he or didn't he?' OK, I did not have taxes with this state."
Brown called Clinton's office Monday to apologize after the video surfaced.
He also told reporters: "Bill Clinton was an excellent president. It was wrong for me to joke about an incident from many years ago, and I'm sorry."
The source of Clinton's criticism was a CNN report by Brooks Jackson, who issued a statement over the weekend on Factcheck.org saying he had mischaracterized Brown's record on taxes.
"Brown is right; I made a mistake in my 1992 report," Jackson wrote.
Specifically, Jackson said he picked the wrong year in concluding that California's state taxes were higher when Brown left office than in his first year.
However, Jackson defended his criticism of Brown's claim that he cut taxes as governor, noting that taxes were slashed by voters' approval of Proposition 13.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
bill clinton, jerry brown, politics
- Fast food workers protest, want $15 an hour
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials 43 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- Bratton picked as NYPD commissioner again
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 41 min ago
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K 24 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' official trailer