Thousands gather at funeral for Sen. Oropeza
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- A public funeral was held Monday afternoon for state Sen. Jenny Oropeza in Cypress. She died Wednesday.
Thousands gathered at Church of Our Fathers at Forest Lawn for the Democrat.
Oropeza, who was elected in 2006 and chaired the Senate majority caucus, was successfully treated for liver cancer in 2004, but fell ill again earlier this year.
She died Wednesday night of complications from a blood clot she developed in her abdomen in May. The clot led to a common side effect: a buildup of fluid in her lungs that affected her breathing.
The illness forced her to miss most of this year's session, including the vital votes earlier this month as the state passed a budget after a record 100-day delay.
Oropeza's name will remain on the Nov. 2 ballot. According to the secretary of state's office, she will be declared the winner if she receives a majority of the vote, and a special election would be called to fill the vacancy.
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 26 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...