House GOP busy on first full day in power
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- On their first full day in power, House Republicans wasted no time, launching an assault on the policies of the Obama Administration.
Thursday started with a full reading of the constitution, designed to suggest that Republicans will be more attentive to the nation's founding document.
House members moved to repeal the new health care reform law. The effort to repeal the law is expected to pass in the House but fail in the Senate, going nowhere.
Republicans' pledge to cut $100 billion from the budget in one year likely won't be kept.
"We are going to accomplish more than $100 billion in cuts over the term of this Congress," Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said to ABC's George Stephanopoulos.
When asked about the promise to cut that amount in one year, Cantor replied, "What we promised was we're going to bring spending down to '08 levels."
The first spending cut measure to come to the floor was imposing a 5 percent spending cut on lawmakers' budgets for office expenses and staff salaries.
A spokesperson for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Thursday's cut "is just the first installment," and that further cuts are possible when Republicans wrap up the 2011 budget process in coming months.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
senate, republican party, congress, politics
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 10 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 30 min ago
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 13 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM 12 min ago
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke
- Pet of the Week: Beagle mix named Noelle
47 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
50 min ago