ABC News: Rep. Weiner's wife is pregnant
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The wife of New York Rep. Anthony Weiner, who is embroiled in an Internet sex scandal, is in the early stages of pregnancy.
Huma Abedin has a reputation for being unflappable, loyal and utterly discreet. But now she has been thrust into the spotlight by her husband's behavior.
Sources tell ABC News the 35-year-old wife of the congressman is in the early stages of pregnancy. It is the couple's first child.
Abedin has a high-powered career as a close advisor to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. In spite of the scandal surrounding her husband she continues to focus on work, departing Wednesday on a trip to the Middle East and Africa with Clinton.
"Huma is one of the world's most intriguing, interesting, high-profile women who we really don't know," said Lois Romano from Newsweek.
Abedin initially believed Weiner's story that someone had hacked into his Twitter account. She is reportedly devastated by her husband's admission to sending lewd photos of himself to several women and engaging in risqué online chats.
Abedin was raised in a conservative Muslim family and friends say she is still committed to her marriage and hopes to help Weiner salvage his political career.
For over a decade she has been Clinton's trusted advisor and friend.
"I've never felt that I can't say what I think or say what I feel," said Abedin. "And I feel like my opinion counts."
The revelation of Abedin's pregnancy comes on the same day an x-rated photo is leaked on the internet.
Andrew Breitbart, the conservative blogger who claimed to have an x-rated photo of Weiner that he obtained from a woman it was sent to, says he showed the photo to the hosts of a radio show on his mobile device.
Breitbart released a statement on his website claiming the picture was copied from the device without his knowledge and made public.
In a statement, a spokesman for Weiner noted that although he admitted to sending explicit photos, the congressman has never met any of the women or had physical contact with them.
And at least a half dozen fellow Democrats are saying Weiner should resign.
twitter, washington d.c., politics, amy powell
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- 4 stabbed in parking lot after Broncos game 34 min ago
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son