Obama brushes off Perry's tough talk in Iowa
DECORAH, Iowa (KABC) -- With Congress in recess, the political front has moved from the beltway to the heartland.
Both President Barack Obama and the field of Republicans who want his job are out on their buses taking their message to their supporters and all who will listen. While it's not 2012 yet, the war of words is already heating up, especially with "the human tornado from Texas."
Since leaving Texas to campaign in Iowa this week, Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been quick on the draw.
"His idea is to study this thing. We don't need to study anymore. We know what the problem is, we're being over taxed, over regulated and over litigated," Perry told a crowd.
Obama, also in Iowa, has been trying to talk economics in small town America.
The president's been dodging one cow patty after another from Perry. But Perry's toughest words Tuesday were aimed at Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke.
"Printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treacherous or treasonous, in my opinion," Perry said.
In an interview on CNN on Tuesday afternoon, the president was asked about Perry's attacks.
"You have to be careful about what you say, but I'll cut him some slack - he's only been at it for a few days now," Obama said.
Perry's "treasonous" comment directed at Bernanke has sparked a lot of reaction from both political sides. One White House spokesman said that threatening the Fed chairman is probably not a good idea. Perry even crossed the line with a few Republicans who called his remarks "inappropriate and unpresidential".
Perry is a newcomer to the presidential campaign, joining frontrunners Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.
tea party, president barack obama, politics, leslie miller
- NYC apartment explosion kills 1, injures 15 5 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 21 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage 37 min ago
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Selena Gomez films Adidas ads (Photos)