Rep. Richardson says she is under scrutiny for her race
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Representative Laura Richardson is lashing out, claiming the House Ethics Committee has singled her out for scrutiny because she's African-American.
The ethics committee is investigating Richardson (D-Long Beach) to learn whether she improperly used staff for political purposes.
Richardson is accusing fellow lawmakers of ignoring wrongdoing by other legislators in order to focus on her.
The Ethics Committee is made up of five members from each party, including Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-California), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Maryland) and is also African-American, and Rep. Pedro Pierluisi (D- Puerto Rico). The five Republicans who make up the remainder of the committee are all white males.
The Associated Press contirbuted to this story.
washington d.c., congress, democratic party, long beach, politics
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors