Rep. Richardson says she is under scrutiny for her race
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- Representative Laura Richardson is lashing out, claiming the House Ethics Committee has singled her out for scrutiny because she's African-American.
The ethics committee is investigating Richardson (D-Long Beach) to learn whether she improperly used staff for political purposes.
Richardson is accusing fellow lawmakers of ignoring wrongdoing by other legislators in order to focus on her.
The Ethics Committee is made up of five members from each party, including Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-California), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-Maryland) and is also African-American, and Rep. Pedro Pierluisi (D- Puerto Rico). The five Republicans who make up the remainder of the committee are all white males.
The Associated Press contirbuted to this story.
washington d.c., congress, democratic party, long beach, politics
- EB 210 Fwy lanes closed, Gold Line shut down 24 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover
- Pet of the Week: Mini Pinscher named Tabasco
34 min ago