Jon Huntsman drops presidential bid, endorses Mitt Romney
CHARLESTON, S.C. (KABC) -- The Republican presidential race has one less candidate after former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman announced that he's dropping out.
"Today, I am suspending my campaign for the presidency," Huntsman said at a Monday press conference in Myrtle Beach.
The former ambassador to China also endorsed frontrunner Mitt Romney because he said he thinks Romney is the best candidate to beat President Barack Obama in November.
Romney was not present for the endorsement.
Huntsman made an appeal to the remaining contenders to stop attacking one another in television ads.
"This race has degenerated into an onslaught of negative and personal attacks not worthy of the American people," he said during his announcement.
Despite his third-place finish in New Hampshire, Huntsman had been at the bottom of the polls in South Carolina.
His decision to drop out comes as pressure has been increasing on Texas Gov. Rick Perry to leave the race to allow South Carolina's influential social conservatives to unify behind either former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum or former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
The South Carolina primary is on Jan. 21.
Candidate Rick Santorum called the endorsement of Romney a moderate backing a moderate.
"I'm not surprised at that at all and anticipated that sooner than today," Santorum said.
To stand out in a crowded field, Huntsman positioned himself as a tax-cutting, budget-balancing chief executive and former business executive who could rise above partisan politics.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
jon huntsman, republican party, mitt romney, newt gingrich, rick santorum, ron paul, michele bachmann, politics, john north
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 49 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 3 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 37 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Jeremy Renner discusses future roles
52 min ago