Mitt Romney takes Nevada caucuses with double-digit lead
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- Mitt Romney inched closer to securing the Republican presidential nomination with a win in the Nevada caucuses Saturday, ABC News projects. It marks his third victory in the first five voting states.
As of Sunday morning, the former Massachusetts governor held a double-digit lead over his nearest pursuer, rival Newt Gingrich, as the totals mounted in a state where fellow Mormons accounted for roughly a quarter of all caucus-goers.
Returns from 16 of 17 counties early Sunday showed Romney with nearly 48 percent support, Gingrich with about 23 percent, Paul with 19 percent and Santorum with 11 percent.
"This is not the first time you gave me your vote of confidence and this time I'm going to take it to the White House," Romney told his supporters at a victory speech.
Romney won Nevada when he ran for president in 2008.
Gingrich and Texas Rep. Ron Paul battled for a distant second. Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum trailed the field.
Romney went into Nevada, the first western state to vote, with big momentum from the Florida primary, which he won by a double-digit margin. That contest was as intense as Nevada's caucuses were sedate - so quiet that they produced little television advertising, no candidate debates and only a modest investment of time by the contenders.
In a state with the worst jobless rate in the country, Romney blasted President Barack Obama for his economic policies.
"America needs a president who can fix the economy because he understands the economy, and I do, and I will," Romney said.
Gingrich is still struggling after losing to Romney in Florida. He's facing a month of contests that favor Romney and only one scheduled debate, which have helped him in the past.
After losing Saturday, Gingrich vowed to stay in the race.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
republican party, mitt romney, newt gingrich, rick santorum, ron paul, politics
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Plane crash sole survivor breaks silence
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review