Mayor Villaraigosa aiming beyond Los Angeles?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has been named one of 35 national co-chairs for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign. The announcement comes just one week after Villaraigosa was selected to be chair of the Democratic National Convention. It all has some wondering whether the mayor is setting his sights on Washington, D.C.
Villaraigosa also recently hosted the Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping and led the U.S. Conference of Mayors as its president.
There is a lot of speculation that the mayor has set his sights beyond Los Angeles. It's widely known he's already been offered and turned down a position in the Obama administration.
Villaraigosa says he's going to focus on the job as mayor until the last minute, the last day. That's in June next year. And then what?
"I'd say if I was a betting man, you're going to bet that I'm going to take some time to write, to think and reflect, to maybe speak on some of the important issues of our time," said Villaraigosa.
Last month I met Villaraigosa at the White House as he arrived for a meeting with President Obama. He's been there often. Villaraigosa had just given a major address to the U.S. Conference of Mayors.
In September he will chair the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina, another national platform for Villaraigosa.
Villaraigosa said if he had to make a decision today, it would definitely be to take a time-out.
"I've had jobs now since 1994 that acted on the world," said Villaraigosa. "And I think it's maybe time for me to reflect a little more, and that's where I'm at. That could change. I'm not going to lock myself into anything."
antonio villaraigosa, politics, john north
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2