Newt Gingrich headlines Republican Northern California convention
BURLINGAME, Calif. (KABC) -- U.S. presidential candidate Newt Gingrich was one of the headline speakers at the Republican party's convention in Northern California on Saturday.
The house speaker talked for about an hour, focusing on his energy policy. He promised to keep gas prices low if elected.
"If you would like to have national energy- an American energy policy- never again bow to a Saudi king, and pay $2.50 a gallon, Newt Gingrich will be your candidate," said Gingrich.
Gingrich, who gave the luncheon address, has vowed to stay in the race and said he expects California will be in play this year.
"There will not be any lockdown before we get to California," he told hundreds of convention attendees.
Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Ron Paul are moving into a crucial stretch of state primaries and caucuses. If no definitive front-runner emerges after Super Tuesday in March, California's 172 delegates will begin to loom larger on the national stage.
"You cannot follow the recent Republican practice of writing off our largest state," Gingrich said. "It is impossible for the Republican Party to be the governing party without having a very, very strong role in California."
A Field Poll last week showed Romney with the greatest support among Republican voters in California, but a change this year in how the state's delegates are awarded will allow other candidates to add to their national total even if they don't win the overall vote. This year's system in the state is winner-take-all based on congressional district.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
republican party, herman cain, politics
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 23 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 2 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 13 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
57 min ago