Councilman Richard Alarcon, wife plead not guilty to new perjury charges
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles Councilman Richard Alarcon and his wife were back in court, one day after a judge tossed out their grand jury indictment.
Alarcon and his wife Flora pleaded not guilty to 18 new charges. They are charged with committing perjury and fraud regarding where they actually lived starting in 2006.
The couple was released on their own recognizance. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for June 8.
"We remain confident that once the exonerating evidence we provided is considered, that we will be acquitted of these charges," Alarcon said in a statement.
Prosecutors re-filed charges against the couple just six hours after a judge dismissed criminal charges against them on Thursday. Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy threw out the case, saying prosecutors didn't provide the grand jury with evidence that might have exonerated the couple.
Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Lentz Snyder said she was confident their case would go to a jury trial, saying, "The evidence is there."
Alarcon was accused of living outside Council District 7 in Panorama City, and then lying about it. Alarcon says he was renovating the older house and occasionally lived in the newer Sun Valley home owned by his wife.
After his court appearance, Alarcon went to his job as a city councilman. He can remain on the city council as long as he's not convicted of a crime - a nd he intends to keep working.
san fernando valley, politics, john north
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 37 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 28 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 33 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
26 min ago