Student loan bill blocked by Senate Republicans
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A bill to prevent interest rates on federal college loans from doubling on July 1 failed to get the 60 votes needed to clear the Senate to start debate on the legislation.
The Senate voted 52-45 along party lines. The vote was largely symbolic because the Democratic bill had no chance of approval by the GOP-led House.
The $6 billion measure would extend the 3.4 percent interest rate on subsidized Stafford loans for another year. Without congressional action, rates would grow to 6.8 percent.
Republicans said they blocked the Senate from debating the bill because they oppose how Democrats would pay for it: Boosting Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes on high-earning stockholders of some privately owned corporations.
"They're sending a clear message that they'd rather protect wealthy tax dodgers, and that's what they are, than help promising students achieve their dreams of higher education," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.
GOP senators want a vote on their own version heading off the interest rate increases and paid for by eliminating a preventive health fund created by President Barack Obama's 2010 health care overhaul, but that financing idea has no chance of passing the Democratic-run Senate and has drawn a veto threat from the White House.
The Republicans and Democrats know they need a bipartisan pact on financing the measure, and they are both motivated to because in the months before the presidential and congressional elections, neither wants to be blamed for letting college costs grow for students and their families struggling in the weak economy.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school, democratic party, republican party, senate, politics
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 53 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 25 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea 31 min ago
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Salt water treatment helps rare lung disease
43 min ago