June jobs report disappointment, fuels Romney campaign
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mitt Romney slammed President Barack Obama for Friday's dismal job numbers, saying Mr. Obama is running out of time.
In June, the economy added only 80,000 jobs, far fewer than were expected.
While the disappointing report could be a potential setback for the president, he insists the economy is slowly getting back on track.
"We knew from the start that turning around wasn't going to happen overnight," the president said.
For his republican rival, it was fuel for the fight.
"It is another kick in the gut for middle class families," said Romney.
The unemployment rate remains at 8.2 percent, which is considered a recession-level figure. No president since World War II has faced reelection with unemployment over 8 percent.
But the president called the jobs numbers, especially in the private sector, a step in the right direction. Romney says they show Mr. Obama is out of touch.
"The president's policies have not gotten America working again, and the president is going to have to stand up and take responsibility for it," said Romeny.
On the stump, the president pointed the finger right back at Romney.
"Look, his companies that he started were called the pioneers of business outsourcing," he said.
While voters are angry about the stagnant economy, political analysts say many are still undecided. Recent polls show the two candidates are in an almost dead heat.
"They're frustrated things aren't getting better faster, but don't know if Romney is the person to bring it back," said ABC News political director Amy Walter.
This is the third consecutive month of weak job growth. One economic analyst says the labor market is treading water, and another says it's highly unlikely unemployment will drop below 8 percent before election day.
economy, election, jobs, president barack obama, mitt romney, politics, leanne suter
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 36 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 1 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 36 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'