Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio says President Obama birth certificate is 'fraudulent'
PHOENIX (KABC) -- Sheriff Joe Arpaio from Arizona says investigators from his volunteer posse have found that President Barack Obama's birth certificate is definitely fraudulent.
"As we suspect, it is a fraudulent document," Arpaio said. "My original intent was to clear the president of the United States."
Members of Maricopa County Sheriff Arpaio's posse said in March that there was probable cause that that the president's long-form birth certificate released by the White House in April 2011 was a computer-generated forgery.
According to the posse's chief investigator, Mike Zullo, numeric codes on certain parts of the birth certificate indicate that those parts weren't filled out, yet those sections asking for the race of President Obama's father and his field of work or study were completed.
President Obama's campaign declined to comment on Arpaio's allegations.
So-called "birthers" claim Mr. Obama is ineligible to be president because he was born in Kenya.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
president barack obama, politics, amy powell
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected 11 min ago
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family 10 min ago
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds