'Bachelor' Andrew Firestone a California delegate at the Republican National Convention
TAMPA, Fla. (KABC) -- Andrew Firestone has evolved from a reality TV star on ABC's "The Bachelor" to a political figure. He's now married with children, a businessman and politics has become his passion.
I ran into Firestone at a brunch in Tampa, Fla., for the California delegation at the Republican National Convention - yes, Firestone is a delegate.
"This convention for me is not about coming and just cheering on the candidates, it's about listening to the candidates and having them tell me their plan and how they're going to enact that plan," he said. "I don't want sound bites, I don't want bumper stickers, I want to know how things are going to change, because right now the country is going in the wrong direction."
Firestone appeared on the hit reality show in 2003. His last name, first known for its tires and now for its wine and beer, is legendary. In that regard, Firestone can relate to Mitt Romney, whose father, George, was a successful businessman and governor of Michigan. Firestone and Romney are now making a name for themselves.
"I don't know if I identify with him because of the similarities from family or anything like that, but I identify with him because I think that he has a clear vision that he wants to give his sons, the next generation, the opportunities that he had," Firestone said.
Firestone is driven and articulate in his stance on politics. He lives with his family in Santa Barbara.
Look for ongoing reports from David Ono at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. Eyewitness News will also be at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C., in September.
storm, republican party, mitt romney, politics, david ono
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video