Democratic National Convention set to kick off
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (KABC) -- The Democratic National Convention gets underway Tuesday and it's already generating news, but not the kind that party officials would like to see.
The convention hasn't even started yet, and already there's controversy. Democrats accuse Republicans of engaging in a deliberate campaign of lying about the president.
Monday California Demoratic Party Chairman John Burton compared GOP tactics to the "Big Lie," and invoked the name of Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.
In an interview with a San Francisco radio station, Burton's comparison of Republican tactics to those of Joseph Goebbels was roundly criticized.
Monday night, he issued a defiant apology, saying: "To correct recent press reports about Republican lies, I did not call Republicans Nazis, nor would I ever. In fact, I didn't even use the word. If Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan or the Republicans are insulted by my describing their campaign tactics as the Big Lie, I most humbly apologize to them or anyone who might have been offended by that comment."
There's also Saturday night's drunken disturbance at the hotel housing the California delegation. One delegate had his credentials revoked after becoming abusive with hotel staff. He's been kicked out.
The only controversy at CarolinaFest in downtown Charlotte was whether the rain would dampen the fun. Actor Jeff Bridges was there with his band, and James Taylor saw rain and played anyway.
The mood in the city is one of anticipation. After listening to Republicans hammer the president last week, Democrats say it's their turn in the spotlight.
First lady Michelle Obama took to the stage Monday night to get a feel for what she'll see Tuesday when she speaks to the convention. Her presence in Charlotte was one reason why security around the convention center was so tight.
Look for ongoing reports from Marc Brown at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
democratic party, president barack obama, politics, marc brown
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnapping
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 37 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 11 min ago
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- S.Korean ferry: Vice principal commits suicide 20 min ago
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Pro-Russian insurgents ignore diplomatic deal
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Covered California enrolls nearly 1.4M people
2 min ago