Democratic National Convention to begin with Michelle Obama speech
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (KABC) -- The Democratic National Convention kicks off in Charlotte, N.C. on Tuesday, and the Democrats will put forth what may be their most popular asset, first lady Michelle Obama, when she gives her prime time speech.
She's expected to talk about what drives the president every day, and she will be catering to woman voters.
This week, Democrats will make the case Americans are better off now than four years ago.
President Barack Obama on Monday made it clear that Democrats will get it right this week compared to the message Republicans attempted to put out at the RNC.
"Despite all the challenges that we face in this new century, we saw three straight days of an agenda out of the last century, it was a rerun. You might as well have watched it on black and white TV with some rabbit ears on there," Mr. Obama said.
Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan spoke to George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America" Tuesday morning, saying he disagrees that Americans are better off now than they were four years prior.
"I'd really ask the 23 million people, George, who are struggling to find work in America today if we're better off than we were four years ago. I'd look at the facts that we've had unemployment above 8 percent for 42 months despite the president's claims that the stimulus would provide the contrary," he said.
Tuesday night's DNC's keynote speech will be made by San Antonio mayor and rising democratic star Julian Castro. It's the same prime-time slot Mr. Obama had back in 2004 when he was a senator.
The president will be accepting his nomination and speaking at the convention on Thursday night.
ABC7 anchor Marc Brown will be live at the Democratic National Convention beginning Tuesday on Eyewitness News.
democratic party, first lady michelle obama, president barack obama, politics, subha ravindhran
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Sex offender arrested for sex with minor
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- TSA responds to case on disabled LAX passenger
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- South Korea ferry death toll reaches 156
- abcnews: McCann probers focus on child sex attacker
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- Jay Z, Beyonce Rose Bowl concert approved
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison