Democratic National Convention to begin with Michelle Obama speech
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (KABC) -- The Democratic National Convention kicks off in Charlotte, N.C. on Tuesday, and the Democrats will put forth what may be their most popular asset, first lady Michelle Obama, when she gives her prime time speech.
She's expected to talk about what drives the president every day, and she will be catering to woman voters.
This week, Democrats will make the case Americans are better off now than four years ago.
President Barack Obama on Monday made it clear that Democrats will get it right this week compared to the message Republicans attempted to put out at the RNC.
"Despite all the challenges that we face in this new century, we saw three straight days of an agenda out of the last century, it was a rerun. You might as well have watched it on black and white TV with some rabbit ears on there," Mr. Obama said.
Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan spoke to George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America" Tuesday morning, saying he disagrees that Americans are better off now than they were four years prior.
"I'd really ask the 23 million people, George, who are struggling to find work in America today if we're better off than we were four years ago. I'd look at the facts that we've had unemployment above 8 percent for 42 months despite the president's claims that the stimulus would provide the contrary," he said.
Tuesday night's DNC's keynote speech will be made by San Antonio mayor and rising democratic star Julian Castro. It's the same prime-time slot Mr. Obama had back in 2004 when he was a senator.
The president will be accepting his nomination and speaking at the convention on Thursday night.
ABC7 anchor Marc Brown will be live at the Democratic National Convention beginning Tuesday on Eyewitness News.
democratic party, first lady michelle obama, president barack obama, politics, subha ravindhran
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected 52 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role