VP Nominee Ryan in Southern California for fundraiser
LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KABC) -- Republican congressman and vice-presidential candidate Paul Ryan arrived at Los Angeles International Airport Thursday afternoon.
The trip was not announced until Thursday. He was scheduled to attend a Thursday night fundraiser, but the details were not released. He was to spend the night in Southern California.
Ryan has no publicly scheduled events for this trip to Southern California, a reliably Democratic state. He did speak publicly earlier in the swing state of Colorado previewing President Obama's Thursday night convention speech.
"This is the third president that I've worked with. This is the most partisan president, the most acrimonious climate, the bitter, partisan environment I've ever seen," said Ryan.
Thursday night, the first president Ryan worked with, Bill Clinton, took aim at him.
"It takes some brass to attack a guy for doing what you did," said Clinton in his Democratic National Convention speech.
Clinton was referencing Ryan's convention speech last week, especially the congressman's claims about Medicare.
"Mitt Romney and I know the difference between protecting a program and raiding it. Ladies and gentlemen, our nation needs this debate. We want this debate. We will win this debate," said Ryan in his Republican National Convention speech last week in Tampa, Fla.
"Now when Congressman Ryan looked into that TV camera and attacked President Obama's Medicare savings as quote, 'The biggest, coldest power play,' I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," said Clinton Thursday night in Charlotte. "Because that $716 billion is exactly, to the dollar, the same amount of Medicare savings that he has in his own budget."
Ryan's team did not allow questions from Southern California reporters Thursday.
During Ryan's Colorado speech Thursday, Ryan defended his Medicare plan, but he did not address President Clinton's criticisms and did not mention the president's name.
Look for ongoing reports from ABC7 Anchor Marc Brown at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C.
republican party, mitt romney, los angeles international airport, politics, elex michaelson
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police 31 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Couple arrested in LA pot grow operation
- Police impersonator halts bus in Redlands
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Virginia parade crash injures up to 60 people
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Kristen Wiig talks about missing 'SNL'