Biden, Ryan meet Thursday night for vice presidential debate
DANVILLE, Ky. (KABC) -- Vice President Joe Biden and Wisconsin Republican Congressman Paul Ryan met at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky Thursday night for their one and only vice-presidential debate.
The debate was moderated by ABC News Senior Foreign Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz. The debate covered both foreign and domestic issues. It lasted approximately 90 minutes.
The debate began with a discussion of foreign policy. Raddatz asked both candidates about the assassination of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens in Libya. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the state of transition in Egypt were also discussed.
On domestic issues, the two men disagreed on the direction of the economy. Ryan contended, "We're heading in the wrong direction." Biden brought up Mitt Romney's "47 percent" comment about the portion of the electorate that doesn't pay taxes and are dependent on government.
Foreign policy was returned to again regarding the scheduled withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan in 2014. Both sides agree with the timeline, but differ on tactics in the meantime. Differences over the internal conflict in Syria were also brought up.
The debate returned to domestic issues. Raddatz pointed out the historic meeting of the two men, two Catholic candidates debating on the national stage, and asked them to discuss how their faith informs their public and political lives.
Vice presidential debates historically do not alter voters' opinions much, but this year's is expected to carry more weight after last week's first presidential debate, in which President Obama did not meet supporters' expectations and GOP nominee Mitt Romney improved his poll standing with a strong performance.
Mitt Romney and Barack Obama debate again Oct. 16 in a town hall-style format at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., and their final faceoff, on foreign affairs, is Oct. 22 at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla.
democratic party, president barack obama, mitt romney, republican party, politics
- NKorea says it deported detained US war vet
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia 51 min ago
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides 30 min ago
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
13 min ago