Gov. Brown continues Proposition 30 push as initiative shows strength in poll
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Gov. Jerry Brown has been campaigning non-stop to get Proposition 30 passed. Without it, he says schools will take a devastating hit. He took his message to the Los Angeles Town Hall.
Proposition 30 would increase the state sales tax by a quarter cent on the dollar for four years and increase taxes on earnings over $250,000 for seven years.
"If the voters say no, the $6 billion comes out," Brown said. "$500 million from universities, $500 million from community colleges, the rest from K-12, which in L.A. would be two or three weeks of school."
Education, according to the governor, would be critically wounded. The legislature put the $6 billion trigger in the budget. It gets pulled if Proposition 30 is defeated next week.
In Los Angeles, David Fleming, a former chairman of the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, says now is not the time for the state to increase taxes.
"They don't have to take the money from schools this is simply the ransom note they're handing us if you vote for 30, your for the schools. That is not the case," said Fleming.
The governor's office was told about the results of our exclusive Eyewitness News poll which shows Proposition 30 winning.
"From all I can tell I believe the majority is going to vote yes, next Tuesday," Brown said.
In Orange County, opponents of Proposition 30 said the last thing that should be done is taking more money from small businesses.
In the past 10 years, Californians have not been kind to ballot measures that raise taxes. They've said no to all but one of them, and the governor is trying to change that.
politics, john north
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 3 min ago
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease 54 min ago
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe? 49 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 10 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
44 min ago