Proposition 30 gains support in recent polls
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- For months, voters have been inundated with ads for ballot propositions and measures, including everything from the death penalty to food labeling to the use of condoms in pornography. But there's been no measure more talked about this election season than Proposition 30. There are 11 propositions on Tuesday's state ballot.
Governor Jerry Brown's Proposition 30 could result in $6 billion in either new money or drastic cuts for public schools. Brown went on a five-city swing to promote Proposition 30.
"Proposition 30 is about all of us," said Brown. "It's not about a candidate. It's not about any politician standing around here. It's about the kids. It's about our schools. It's about the California dream."
Prop. 30 would raise money with a quarter-cent sales tax increase, along with an income tax surcharge. The surcharge would apply to people earning more than $250,000 per year. Proposition 30 leads in some recent polls, but it still could be in trouble.
Douglas Boyd is a member of the Los Angeles County Board of Education. He opposes Prop. 30.
"This is a scam," said Boyd. "It's not about education. The money does not go to education. They put that $6 billion in their little program, they take $6 billion out the other end."
That's not true, says Brown and Proposition 30 supporters. But they warn that if Prop. 30 does not pass it would mean a reduction of about three weeks in the school year.
"Some people say, 'Gee, that tax. How do we afford that?' Well, it doesn't start until you make a half-a-million bucks. And you pay 1 percent," said Brown.
"This is to back-fill the hole in the governor's budget he and the politicians in Sacramento created in June, and they're trying to use schoolchildren to fill their hole," said Boyd.
The governor knows that initiatives that raise taxes are difficult to pass in California. The most recent polls give Brown some hope. They show Prop. 30 is leading by several points.
education, jerry brown, politics, john north
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 19 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 1 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 52 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 2 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour