LA city controller election: Ron Galperin, Dennis Zine to meet in May runoff
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Termed-out Councilman Dennis Zine and businessman Ron Galperin will go head to head in a May runoff in the race for Los Angeles city controller.
With all precincts reporting, Zine and Galperin were virtually tied with 37 percent each. Less than 300 votes separated the top two finishers. Neither collected enough votes to avoid a runoff for the position that was left open by Wendy Greuel's bid for mayor. The other candidates - Ankur Patel, Analilia Joya, Jeff Bornstein, Cary Brazeman - trailed far behind in the race.
Zine, 65, is a former Los Angeles Police Department sergeant who has represented the southeast San Fernando Valley for the past 12 years. He has touted his efforts to safeguard the city's coffers.
The 49-year-old Galperin has served on two volunteer commissions with the city. He had the backing of the Service Employees International Union, one of the city's largest labor unions, as well as the support of former City Controller Laura Chick.
At a party Tuesday night in Studio City, Zine supporters cheered when the absentee ballot results came in. Zine said he was excited about the first numbers.
In Westwood, Galperin supporters were also excited about the early results. Galperin said he's prepared for a runoff election with Zine. He said he's proud of his campaign and ready for round two.
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Documents detail another delayed GM recall
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour