LA mayor race: Garcetti, Greuel pick up key endorsements
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With just over two months to ago, the two candidates vying for the mayor's office continue to pick up endorsements.
For City Controller Wendy Greuel, it was Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas who announced his support for her campaign Sunday.
"I'm here to do what I think is in the best interest of the city of Los Angeles," he said.
The announcement comes as Greuel's team faces some sudden changes. She has hired a former top aide to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa to take over after the apparent resignation of four key members on her team.
Greuel wouldn't comment on the personnel issues, only saying she has brought in extra resources to her campaign.
"When you go from the primary to the general, you are in essence starting a new campaign. I am so proud to have incredible supporters that have come on board and additional staff, some have helped me win my first election in 2002," she said.
An endorsement also came Sunday for Councilman Eric Garcetti from the Sierra Club, with whom he says he's a lifetime member.
Just back from an east coast fundraising swing, Garcetti says his campaign remains focused on the finish line.
"After we came in first place, I think a lot of people are looking at our campaign underfunded but still was able to come in first as really the place where people see an independent leader that they need for Los Angeles," he said.
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa remains on the fence about endorsing either Garcetti or Greuel, saying that at this point, he is not going to endorse either one of them.
election, politics, leanne suter
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 49 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 1 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 1 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 31 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 2 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights 55 min ago
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 24 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book