LA mayor race: Eric Garcetti leads in new poll
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eric Garcetti has opened up a substantial lead in the race for Los Angeles mayor, according to our exclusive Eyewitness News poll by SurveyUSA.
Mayoral candidate Wendy Greuel on Wednesday came out swinging. As the city considered stiff budget cuts, Greuel attacked Garcetti while he was the city council president.
"I've seen the waste, the spending over the last four years. As city council president, Eric Garcetti has been at the eye of the storm in L.A.'s high unemployment," said Greuel.
There were big changes in the Greuel camp over the weekend. Several staffers resigned and she named a new campaign manager. I asked her about the new aggressive campaigning.
"I've been aggressive from the day one," she said.
This comes as our latest poll shows Garcetti leading with 47 percent and Greuel at 40 percent.
"I think we see on the other side a campaign coming a bit undone. They're throwing attacks at us," said Garcetti.
Part of the survey was conducted after Greuel announced that she was endorsed by former President Bill Clinton.
"I'll have to say in the last few days with the endorsement of not only President Clinton and Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, the important role that is going to play going forward," said Greuel.
Garcetti said he's happy with the results of the poll.
"I'm very excited to hear those numbers, but the only poll that is going to matter is May 21," said Garcetti.
At a rally in downtown Los Angeles Wednesday, Garcetti was endorsed by a number of union members and union locals that represent mainly workers employed by private companies. Greuel has received the endorsement of public service unions.
"This campaign is about creating jobs and solving problems for people in every Los Angeles community," Garcetti told the crowd.
election, politics, carlos granda
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 17 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 17 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 48 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 19 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 41 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book