Los Angeles mayoral race: Wendy Greuel, Eric Garcetti talk to parents about schools
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles mayoral candidates Wendy Greuel and Eric Garcetti on Monday focused on education, particularly in the inner city.
At 24th Street Elementary School, the two candidates talked to parents who want a charter school to replace the troubled school their kids attend.
These parents approved a plan to take over 24th Street Elementary. California's controversial Parent Trigger Law allows that in a chronically failing school. The plan would create a charter school and all the existing teachers could be removed. It's something that has the teachers union concerned.
Greuel said she supports the plan.
"Parents have a right to take on the district, the UTLA, whoever we need to take on," said Greuel. "I've stood with these parents through the Parent Trigger Law, stood with these parents, making sure that they have the right to do what they did, to say it's not acceptable at this school."
United Teachers Los Angeles has endorsed Garcetti. Before the primary, he said he wasn't sure about the Parent Trigger Law. He says he now supports it.
"What they're doing is changing the system here to say, 'Look, we have to have a voice. We want to have some options and a failing school is unacceptable,'" said Garcetti.
All of this comes as the Garcetti campaign on Monday launched an ad attacking Greuel and the Department of Water and Power union that supports her.
That prompted the Greuel campaign to respond with a statement that said, "Eric Garcetti's campaign has launched a false, negative TV ad that distorts Wendy's record and attacks this campaign."
Voters head to the polls on May 21. Many people all over the city are receiving their absentee ballots and are already voting by mail.
election, politics, carlos granda
- Ambulance crash: 3 injured in Signal Hill 38 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 36 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role