Los Angeles mayoral race: Wendy Greuel, Eric Garcetti talk to parents about schools
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles mayoral candidates Wendy Greuel and Eric Garcetti on Monday focused on education, particularly in the inner city.
At 24th Street Elementary School, the two candidates talked to parents who want a charter school to replace the troubled school their kids attend.
These parents approved a plan to take over 24th Street Elementary. California's controversial Parent Trigger Law allows that in a chronically failing school. The plan would create a charter school and all the existing teachers could be removed. It's something that has the teachers union concerned.
Greuel said she supports the plan.
"Parents have a right to take on the district, the UTLA, whoever we need to take on," said Greuel. "I've stood with these parents through the Parent Trigger Law, stood with these parents, making sure that they have the right to do what they did, to say it's not acceptable at this school."
United Teachers Los Angeles has endorsed Garcetti. Before the primary, he said he wasn't sure about the Parent Trigger Law. He says he now supports it.
"What they're doing is changing the system here to say, 'Look, we have to have a voice. We want to have some options and a failing school is unacceptable,'" said Garcetti.
All of this comes as the Garcetti campaign on Monday launched an ad attacking Greuel and the Department of Water and Power union that supports her.
That prompted the Greuel campaign to respond with a statement that said, "Eric Garcetti's campaign has launched a false, negative TV ad that distorts Wendy's record and attacks this campaign."
Voters head to the polls on May 21. Many people all over the city are receiving their absentee ballots and are already voting by mail.
election, politics, carlos granda
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 2 min ago
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake 3 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)