Los Angeles mayoral race: Wendy Greuel, Eric Garcetti talk to parents about schools
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Los Angeles mayoral candidates Wendy Greuel and Eric Garcetti on Monday focused on education, particularly in the inner city.
At 24th Street Elementary School, the two candidates talked to parents who want a charter school to replace the troubled school their kids attend.
These parents approved a plan to take over 24th Street Elementary. California's controversial Parent Trigger Law allows that in a chronically failing school. The plan would create a charter school and all the existing teachers could be removed. It's something that has the teachers union concerned.
Greuel said she supports the plan.
"Parents have a right to take on the district, the UTLA, whoever we need to take on," said Greuel. "I've stood with these parents through the Parent Trigger Law, stood with these parents, making sure that they have the right to do what they did, to say it's not acceptable at this school."
United Teachers Los Angeles has endorsed Garcetti. Before the primary, he said he wasn't sure about the Parent Trigger Law. He says he now supports it.
"What they're doing is changing the system here to say, 'Look, we have to have a voice. We want to have some options and a failing school is unacceptable,'" said Garcetti.
All of this comes as the Garcetti campaign on Monday launched an ad attacking Greuel and the Department of Water and Power union that supports her.
That prompted the Greuel campaign to respond with a statement that said, "Eric Garcetti's campaign has launched a false, negative TV ad that distorts Wendy's record and attacks this campaign."
Voters head to the polls on May 21. Many people all over the city are receiving their absentee ballots and are already voting by mail.
election, politics, carlos granda
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills 2 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA hospital
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 42 min ago
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
53 min ago