Los Angeles Mayor-elect Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mayor-elect Eric Garcetti is weeks away from taking office, but on Thursday morning, he was at the Getty House, the official residence for the mayor, to meet with outgoing Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
Garcetti says he'll focus on the economy when he takes office July 1.
"Balance the budget in the long term, to continue the reform we've done on health care and pensions and making sure we live within our means because when we do that, we are able to restore services," Garcetti said.
Villaraigosa said he looks forward to working with Garcetti for a seamless transition.
"This is a man who has a record, 12 years on the city council, council president for a good portion of that time, somebody who is going to hit the ground running," Villaraigosa said.
After the meeting, Garcetti headed to a special city council meeting, where a vote is expected on the budget.
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 32 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 3 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 54 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 58 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour