Vote 2010: Local Elections
Calvert projected to win Calif.'s District 44
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Republican Congressman Ken Calvert managed to hold onto his seat in the 44th Congressional District with a wide margin of 58 percent over his Democratic opponent Bill Hedrick's 42 percent.
"I think the first thing we're going to do is cut spending," Calvert said. "We're going to talk about dropping back the spending levels to the 2008 level.
Long-time Republican Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack held an early lead against Democratic challenger Palm Springs Mayor Steve Pougnet in the 45th District.
According to mail-in ballot counts, Bono Mack had 53 percent while Pougnet had 40 percent. Bono Mack is a six-term Congresswoman who was originally elected to fill the seat held by her late husband, Sonny Bono.
State Assemblymen Manuel Perez and Brian Nestande from Coachella Valley looked likely to hold on to their seats. With absentee votes counted, Perez led his Republican opponent with 54.7 percent of the vote and Nestande led his Democratic rival with 61.6 percent of the vote.
Four of five San Jacinto City Council members were ousted by voters in a recall election after members were charged in a money-laundering scandal. Mayor Dale Stubblefield and council members James Ayers, John Mansperger and James Potts were voted out of office.
Polls in Riverside County stayed open half an hour late until 8:30 p.m. because of the long lines of voters still waiting to cast their votes at the Riverside County Registrar Office.
City News Service contributed to this story
election, vote 2010: local elections, rob mcmillan
- UK theater collapse: 20-40 injuries reported 12 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- 2 taken to hospital after school bus crash
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- India wants NYC arrested diplomat case dropped
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston: I have Lupus Myelitis 58 min ago