Vote 2010: Local Elections
LA election night: Pot tax leading in polls
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Voters in Los Angeles are headed to the polls Tuesday to weigh in on several key measures that will impact the city.
There were 10 measures on the ballot.
One of the most contentious is Measure M, which would require medical marijuana collectives to pay a 5 percent tax on gross receipts. If passed, it was expected to increase revenue to the city by about $10 million each year.
The vote appeared to be on its way to passing with 65 percent of the vote.
In the races for the Los Angeles City Council, it appeared the incumbents were cruising to victory.
In one of the more hotly contested races, Forescee Hogan-Rowles faced off against two-term Councilman Bernard c. Parks, Los Angeles' former police chief.
Parks was ahead by a small margin with 54 percent of the vote, compared to Hogan-Rowles' 41.4 percent.
The ugliest and one of the most expensive city council races is between Councilman Jose Huizar and businessman Rudy Martinez in the 14th District, which includes East Los Angeles.
Huizar was ahead with 60 percent of the vote to Martinez's 40 percent.
Meantime, Measure O would impose a tax of $1.44 for every barrel of oil that's extracted within Los Angeles city limits.
Critics claim it will hurt small businesses. However, proponents say Measure O would bring the cash-strapped city nearly $4 million each year.
Measure O was being narrowly defeated with 51 percent of votes cast against it.
Also, Measure L would increase the amount of property tax revenue for city libraries over a four-year period.
This move was expected to generate as much as $130 million a year. The money would be used to restore library hours and services lost in previous cuts.
Voters were in favor of it with 62 percent of the votes.
Voters chose seven city council seats and choose four school board members.
All election results for the city of Los Angeles can be read by clicking here.
City News Service contributed to this report.
election, vote 2010: local elections
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting 58 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees