Tiger Woods to address the public on Friday
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- Tiger Woods will end nearly three months of silence Friday when he addresses the media at the PGA Tour headquarters in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida.
It will be his first public appearance since he crashed his SUV into a tree outside his Florida home on Thanksgiving night, sparking stunning revelations of infidelity.
He's expected to apologize as he addresses the past and what he plans to do next, which could include a time frame of his return to golf.
Wood's agent says it is not a press conference, but a gathering that will include a small group of friends, colleagues and close associates. He is expected to read a 5 to 7 minute statement at 11 a.m. at the TPC Sawgrass Clubhouse. His agent also said Woods will not take any questions.
Only a handful of selected media members will be allowed in and only one camera will be in the room to provide live coverage via satellite.
Some think the timing of his address is odd. It'll be held during the third round of the Accenture Match Play Championship, sure to steal attention away from the first big golf event of the year. Accenture was the first sponsor to drop Woods when he became embroiled in the sex scandal.
In the days before Woods' accident, a National Enquirer story alleged the world's No. 1 golfer had been seeing a New York nightclub hostess. Following the crash, a stream of women came forward to claim they had romantic relationships with Woods.
Woods admitted to "infidelity" in a statement on his Web site in mid-December and has been on an indefinite break from golf ever since.
"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children," Woods said at the time. "I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try."
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts 405 South lanes 1 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 12 min ago
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover 15 min ago
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video