Mayweather posts racist rant against Pacquiao
FILIPINOTOWN, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An eagerly awaited matchup between two fighters has been overshadowed by a racist rant against one of them.
Historic Filipinotown is home to the largest Filipino mural in the country. It's also home to some growing outrage after boxer Floyd Mayweather Junior's comments about Manny Pacquiao. The two have had a long-running dispute, but now Filipino activists say it's grown into this ugly racist turn.
Floyd Mayweather Junior may be able to box with the pros and dance with the stars, but talking could prove to be his downfall.
In a Youtube video, Mayweather refers to fellow boxer Manny Pacquiao, a Filipino, for roughly 10 minutes. Mayweather uses racist, profane terms in an effort to bait Pacquiao into a high-profile bout.
Mayweather's gloves aren't even on but they're already coming off in the Filipino community.
"When you use racial ethnic slurs, that's really crossing the line," said Filipino activist Dennis Arguelles, director of Community and Economic Development for Search to Involve Pilipino Americans (SIPA).
Arguelles says the racist comments have spread quickly across the Filipino community.
"As a person of color you think he would know better than to use racial slurs, and on top of that, again, using slurs that don't even relate to the Filipino-American community," said Arguelles.
Arguelles says his group is demanding an apology from Mayweather, who also used slurs against homosexuals and people of short stature. Pacquiao, who is preparing for a November fight with Antonio Margarito, dismissed Mayweather's slurs as an "uneducated message."
Mayweather's publicist says they've seen the video and have no comment.
Earlier this year Mayweather accused Pacquiao of using performance-enhancing drugs. Pacquiao responded with a defamation lawsuit.
Boxing experts say a fight between the two boxers would be the biggest bouts ever and would shatter revenue records.
sports, rob hayes
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 43 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 37 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest 35 min ago
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty 49 min ago
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony 8 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)