Ron Artest suspended for Game 3 of Lakers-Mavs series
LOS ANGELES -- If losing two playoff games to the Dallas Mavericks wasn't enough, the Los Angeles Lakers got more bad news Thursday. Their best defensive player, Ron Artest, has been suspended from Game 3 Friday night in Dallas.
Artest was punished by the NBA for a forearm shot to the face of Mavericks guard J.J. Barea with 24 seconds left in Game 2 on Wednesday night. Artest was immediately ejected after picking up his second technical foul. The foul was classified a flagrant foul.
"I have no reaction," Artest said after Thursday's practice. "I'm ready to move forward and play basketball."
Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Thursday he had not spoken with Artest about the suspension, but the Lakers planned to petition the league to rescind Artest's first technical foul.
The Mavericks lead the best-of-seven series 2-0.
ESPN Los Angeles contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, dallas mavericks, sports
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 27 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis