Blake Griffin wins breakout athlete award at ESPYs
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- At the junction of sports stars and the red carpet is where the ESPY Awards are.
The Nokia Theater hosted the 19th annual excellence in sports performance yearly awards show and it began with some laughs at the expense of the Dodgers.
"The proceeds from tonight's show go to a very worthy charity: the Los Angeles Dodgers of America," host Seth Meyers said. "The Dodgers are so broke, three of their players tested positive for ramen noodles."
Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin picked up the night's first award for best breakthrough athlete.
The big winner of the night was the Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki. He won best NBA player and best male athlete. Plus, the Mavs won the best team award.
Owner Mark Cuban was with the team to pick up the hardware.
Other winners included:
MLS Player: Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy
NFL Player: Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay
Baseball Player: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia
Male Tennis Player: Rafael Nadal
Female Athlete: Lindsey Vonn, skiing
Coach-Manager: Rick Carlisle, Dallas Mavericks
Game: Eagles rally to beat the Giants, 38-31
Female Tennis Player: Serena William
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
award shows, los angeles clippers, los angeles dodgers, sports
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 23 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 14 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 10 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video