Dennis Rodman in court over child, spousal support
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman could be facing jail time for failing to pay child support, according to a law firm representing his third wife.
Rodman, 51, owes $808,935.98, said attorney Jack Kayajanian, who represents Rodman's estranged wife, Michelle. Documents also show Rodman owes more than $50,000 in back spousal support.
Rodman was found guilty of contempt of court for failing to pay child support for four months in 2010 for his 9- and 10-year-old children.
In a statement released Tuesday, Rodman's attorney, Linnea Willis, refuted Kayajanian's claims.
"This is nothing more than a smear campaign by a publicity-starved attorney, Mr. Kayajanian, who is seeking to turn a family's misfortune into self-serving headlines," Willis said. "It is absolutely untrue that Mr. Rodman failed to pay child or spousal support. Mr. Rodman has always provided support to his family to the best of his ability and will continue to do so."
Kayajanian has also claimed that Rodman didn't pay child and spousal support for several months in 2011 and 2009.
The firm had said Rodman could face up to 20 days in jail, but Commissioner Barry Michaelson said Rodman is unlikely to face jail time.
"The court made it clear that he is not sentencing him to jail," Willis said, adding she plans to file a motion to dismiss the contempt charges.
"She don't hate me, I don't hate her. I love her to death. Hopefully we can work this out," Rodman said outside the courthouse.
According court papers, Rodman's financial manager says he has no assets and has state and IRS tax liens in excess of $350,000, making it hard to pay for living expenses, let alone the $5,000 he owes for a child from another marriage.
"I'm here because the kids need to be OK," Michelle Rodman said. "He needs to do his part and I have to do mine."
Rodman is expected to be back in court May 29.
legal, sports, eileen frere
- OC school bus crash: Several injuries reported 49 min ago
- Big-rig crash shuts down 210 Fwy, Gold Line 27 min ago
- Protesters commemorate Armenian Genocide
- Metro votes to keep ExpressLanes program
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment
- LAPD Mid-City station shooter dies of injuries
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Ferry death toll at 175; families outraged
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- Obama: Asia-Pacific trade deal not in danger
- Olivia Wilde, Jason Sudeikis welcome baby boy
- OTRC: Beyonce on '100 Most Influential People' cover 20 min ago