Dennis Rodman in court over child, spousal support
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman could be facing jail time for failing to pay child support, according to a law firm representing his third wife.
Rodman, 51, owes $808,935.98, said attorney Jack Kayajanian, who represents Rodman's estranged wife, Michelle. Documents also show Rodman owes more than $50,000 in back spousal support.
Rodman was found guilty of contempt of court for failing to pay child support for four months in 2010 for his 9- and 10-year-old children.
In a statement released Tuesday, Rodman's attorney, Linnea Willis, refuted Kayajanian's claims.
"This is nothing more than a smear campaign by a publicity-starved attorney, Mr. Kayajanian, who is seeking to turn a family's misfortune into self-serving headlines," Willis said. "It is absolutely untrue that Mr. Rodman failed to pay child or spousal support. Mr. Rodman has always provided support to his family to the best of his ability and will continue to do so."
Kayajanian has also claimed that Rodman didn't pay child and spousal support for several months in 2011 and 2009.
The firm had said Rodman could face up to 20 days in jail, but Commissioner Barry Michaelson said Rodman is unlikely to face jail time.
"The court made it clear that he is not sentencing him to jail," Willis said, adding she plans to file a motion to dismiss the contempt charges.
"She don't hate me, I don't hate her. I love her to death. Hopefully we can work this out," Rodman said outside the courthouse.
According court papers, Rodman's financial manager says he has no assets and has state and IRS tax liens in excess of $350,000, making it hard to pay for living expenses, let alone the $5,000 he owes for a child from another marriage.
"I'm here because the kids need to be OK," Michelle Rodman said. "He needs to do his part and I have to do mine."
Rodman is expected to be back in court May 29.
legal, sports, eileen frere
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 55 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 1 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 42 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video