Kareem Abdul-Jabbar statue unveiled at Staples Center
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former Laker great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar now has a permanent spot at the Staples Center.
The Los Angeles Lakers legendary center was honored with a bronze statue outside of Staples Center before Friday night's game against the Phoenix Suns.
The nearly 16-foot-tall statue is the sixth in the plaza and will join other iconic sculptures of famed Los Angeles sports superstars like Magic Johnson and Wayne Gretzky.
The public was invited to attend the ceremony, which began at 4:30 p.m.
Abdul-Jabbar, along with Johnson, Pat Riley, James Worthy and others, were in attendance.
The statue is located near Figueroa Street and Chick Hearn Court.
Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA's all-time leading scorer and winner of six NBA titles, including his first with the Milwaukee Bucks and five during the Laker's "Showtime Era." He played with the Lakers though 1989.
CNS contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, sports
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 5 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 43 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 31 min ago
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour