Kareem Abdul-Jabbar statue unveiled at Staples Center
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former Laker great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar now has a permanent spot at the Staples Center.
The Los Angeles Lakers legendary center was honored with a bronze statue outside of Staples Center before Friday night's game against the Phoenix Suns.
The nearly 16-foot-tall statue is the sixth in the plaza and will join other iconic sculptures of famed Los Angeles sports superstars like Magic Johnson and Wayne Gretzky.
The public was invited to attend the ceremony, which began at 4:30 p.m.
Abdul-Jabbar, along with Johnson, Pat Riley, James Worthy and others, were in attendance.
The statue is located near Figueroa Street and Chick Hearn Court.
Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA's all-time leading scorer and winner of six NBA titles, including his first with the Milwaukee Bucks and five during the Laker's "Showtime Era." He played with the Lakers though 1989.
CNS contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, sports
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy 38 min ago
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10