Kareem Abdul-Jabbar statue unveiled at Staples Center
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former Laker great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar now has a permanent spot at the Staples Center.
The Los Angeles Lakers legendary center was honored with a bronze statue outside of Staples Center before Friday night's game against the Phoenix Suns.
The nearly 16-foot-tall statue is the sixth in the plaza and will join other iconic sculptures of famed Los Angeles sports superstars like Magic Johnson and Wayne Gretzky.
The public was invited to attend the ceremony, which began at 4:30 p.m.
Abdul-Jabbar, along with Johnson, Pat Riley, James Worthy and others, were in attendance.
The statue is located near Figueroa Street and Chick Hearn Court.
Abdul-Jabbar is the NBA's all-time leading scorer and winner of six NBA titles, including his first with the Milwaukee Bucks and five during the Laker's "Showtime Era." He played with the Lakers though 1989.
CNS contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, sports
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 8 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 26 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage 46 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
6 min ago