USC fires men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- USC has fired its men's basketball coach Kevin O'Neill, according to athletic director Pat Haden.
Assistant coach Bob Cantu will serve as interim head coach while the university searches for a successor.
Haden said in a statement that it became evident to him this season that the program needed new leadership and that it was best to make the change now to "re-energize" the team.
O'Neill was in his fourth year with an overall record of 48-65. The trojans are 7-10 this season.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks