Lakers owner Jerry Buss hospitalized for cancer, undergoing chemotherapy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Lakers owner Jerry Buss has been hospitalized and is undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, Eyewitness News has confirmed.
It's unclear what type of cancer the 79-year-old Buss is battling, or its severity.
The Lakers did not disclose which hospital is treating him.
Five-time champion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar reacted to the news on Twitter.
"Dr. Buss is an important part of the Laker family so I hope his stay at the hospital is short and he has a speedy recovery. #JerryBuss," he said.
Three-time champ Shaquille O'Neal also tweeted: "Dr. Jerry Buss, thinking about u & wish I could be there, get well soon. I can't wait to see you on 4/2/13. #LoveYou #Lakers"
Fans also reacted to the news.
"He set the standard in professional basketball, and really all of sports, for success," said fan Brandon Flowers.
Buss was hospitalized in August and underwent surgery. The reason for the operation has not been disclosed.
Buss was also hospitalized this past summer for dehydration.
los angeles lakers, cancer, sports
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests 10 min ago
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
4 min ago
- Illinois students spread joy w/ Dial-a -Carol
5 min ago