Lakers owner Jerry Buss in intensive care for cancer treatment
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- There is growing concern for Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss. Eyewitness News has confirmed he is in intensive care, battling an undisclosed form of cancer.
The 79-year-old was admitted Thursday to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he is undergoing chemotherapy.
There are some reports that he only has a few days to live.
Buss bought the Lakers back in 1979 and quickly built the team into a champion. In fact, the team has won 10 championships under his ownership. He has had a huge impact on the game, certainly building the Lakers into one of the greatest sports franchises in NBA history.
"He knows exactly what he wants to do and how he wants to construct the ball club and he was extremely, extremely smart in going about it. It's very rare to find that kind of owner that can really, seemingly not make any mistakes. It's pretty impressive," said Kobe Bryant.
Other players reacted to Buss' illness online.
"Dr. Buss is an important part of the Laker family so I hope his stay at the hospital is short and he has a speedy recovery. #JerryBuss," five-time champion Kareem Abdul-Jabbar posted on his Twitter account.
Three-time champ Shaquille O'Neal also posted on Twitter, "Dr. Jerry Buss, thinking about u & wish I could be there, get well soon. I can't wait to see you on 4/2/13. #LoveYou #Lakers"
"4/2/13" is a reference to when O'Neal's jersey will be retired by the Lakers.
There is no official comment on Buss' condition from the Lakers.
Buss has been hospitalized several times in recent years, including a stint last July for dehydration. He was treated for blood clots in his legs in December 2011.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, cancer, sports, john gregory
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 12 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 44 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 28 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 41 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
29 min ago