LA Lakers wear special patch to honor Jerry Buss
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- When the Los Angeles Lakers took the court Wednesday night against the Boston Celtics, they wore a special patch to honor their legendary owner, Dr. Jerry Buss.
The Lakers beat the Celtics 113-99 in their first game since the Buss' death. The game surely would have delighted Buss, who always loved to win but especially liked beating the Celtics.
Buss was remembered in a pregame video tribute featuring photos of him as a child all the way through him hoisting trophies marking the team's 10 NBA championships won under his ownership. Bryant fittingly spoke on behalf of the Lakers' players, having been acquired by the Lakers as a 17-year-old.
"He was a brilliant, incredible owner but an even better person," Bryant said of Buss. "His innovation transcended the game and we are all, all spoiled by his vision and his drive to win year after year after year."
There was a moment of silence in the darkened arena before the crowd broke up the quiet with chants of "Jerry, Jerry."
The players will be wearing the special patch for the rest of the season. The patch will be worn on the right side of their jerseys, above the Lakers logo, with the initials JB.
Fans can buy the patches at the TEAM LA store at the Staples Center. All proceeds will go to the Lakers Youth Foundation.
Fans can also visit the Nokia Plaza across from Staples Center to sign a memorial banner for Buss. For those going to Wednesday night's game, Lakers say there will be a pre-game ceremony honoring Buss.
Buss died on Monday at the age of 80. A memorial service will be held on Thursday at 3 p.m. at Nokia Theatre. It is a private service, but you can watch it live on ABC7.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
los angeles lakers, famous death, sports
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 39 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows into crowd near SXSW
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Mom of wandering boys was supervised by CPS
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- FBI hunting Hawaii for top terror suspect
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons