Sam Hurd pleads guilty in drug conspiracy case
April 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Former NFL wide receiver Sam Hurd pleaded guilty Thursday to trying to buy cocaine and marijuana to set up a drug-distribution network, a move that leaves him facing significant prison time.
Hurd, 27, pleaded guilty in federal court in Dallas to one count of possession of cocaine and marijuana with intent to distribute. His trial was scheduled to begin Monday, and a federal judge had refused his attorney's request to delay it.
Prosecutors and Hurd's attorneys have been in plea discussions for months, according to one of his attorneys, Jay Ethington. One sticking point was what allegations Hurd would acknowledge in a plea agreement, which will factor into his recommended sentence on the indictment, Ethington said in September.
Hurd was a player for the Chicago Bears when was arrested in December 2011 outside a Chicago-area steakhouse after accepting a kilogram of cocaine from an undercover officer, according to documents prosecutors filed in the case. Prosecutors alleged he told the officer and an informant at the steakhouse that he wanted to purchase up to 10 kilograms of cocaine a week for $25,000 per kilogram.
- I-TEAM REPORT: Hurd's drug operation bigger than first alleged
- I-TEAM REPORT: Who were Hurd's alleged clients?
His arrest shocked his teammates and led to his release from the team.
Months later, he was back in court after failing two drug tests and allegedly trying to arrange another drug buy.
Two men linked to Hurd's alleged attempts to buy drugs have pleaded guilty and were prepared to testify against him.
Hurd played college football at Northern Illinois and then five seasons with the Dallas Cowboys before signing a contract with the Bears in 2011 that was reportedly worth up to $5.15 million.
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case 9 min ago
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
14 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
2 min ago