Legally blind Chino Hills runner talks about Boston Marathon experience
CHINO HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Regine Sediva of Chino Hills is one of 20,000 runners entered in Sunday's Orange County Marathon. Her story is one of courage - courage that was put to the test in her last race on April 15 at the Boston Marathon.
Donning the race jacket and clutching her medal, Sediva tells a familiar Boston Marathon story.
"It was so overwhelming. When I first started running the race, it was unbelievable," Sediva described.
But then the unthinkable happened when Sediva was just a half mile from the finish line.
"I see all these people, and they've stopped everybody. I didn't know what was going on at first," she recalled.
Her pre-race excitement turned to confusion and worry. It was an hour and a half before she was reunited with family members who were waiting near the finish line. Sediva says her stepmother, sister and sister's daughter were there. She remembers how her 11-year-old niece hugged her and didn't want to let go.
Sediva's family members were extra emotional, because while the 117th Boston Marathon tells a frightening story, it doesn't tell Sediva's entire story.
The 46-year-old has tunnel vision and is legally blind. She describes it as constantly looking through a paper towel roll - and not being able to see around it.
Sediva wears a sign on her shorts to alert other runners of her vision. She ran her first marathon 20 years ago, and last April she finished the Dallas Marathon in 3 hours and 55 minutes, coming in first in her age group and qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
Sediva is also competing in the Orange County Marathon. If all goes as planned, her time will qualify her for next year's Boston Marathon.
Yes, she has a medal, but her Boston story has one unwritten chapter.
"The biggest thing is crossing that finish line. I just want to be there, have them put the medal over my neck right when I get to crossing the finish line," she said.
boston marathon bombing, san bernardino county, sports, john hartung
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 40 min ago
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 9 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 10 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy 58 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 13 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video