Inaugural 'NCAA Carrier Classic' basketball game honors veterans
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- On Veterans Day, a unique celebration took place in San Diego Bay, where a basketball game was played on the deck of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier. The event took place in Coronado for the first time Friday.
On Veterans Day, a unique celebration took place in San Diego Bay, where a basketball game was played on the deck of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier. The event took place in Coronado for the first time Friday.
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama were among 7,000 fans attending the historic basketball game Friday onboard the USS Carl Vinson.
"We are proud to be here to see a great sporting event, but the main reason we are here is on Veterans Day, we have an opportunity to say thank you," said President Obama.
It was the first-ever college basketball game played aboard a Navy aircraft carrier, between the Michigan State University Spartans and the University of North Carolina Tar Heels.
The event is called the NCAA Carrier Classic.
The basketball court was built on the flight deck. where fighter jets normally sit. The setup started more than a week ago.
"I'm a Navy vet, so it means everything to me," said spectator Jack Gibson. "I was home-ported here for about four years."
"It's nice that the veterans are being recognized finally for the service that they gave for so many years. Just a really cool thing to do," said spectator Mary Kay Gibson, who was visiting from Michigan.
The event was a celebration of service for all veterans.
Admission was by invite-only.
The Tar Heels beat the Spartans, 67-55.
holiday, president barack obama, san diego, basketball, eileen frere
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)