Iona recruit Haynes shot and killed in Chicago
Iona recruit Michael Haynes was shot and killed in Chicago on Thursday, police said.Iona recruit Michael Haynes was shot and killed in Chicago on Thursday, police said.
Authorities say 22-year-old Haynes died at a suburban Chicago hospital. Family members say he was shot while trying to break up a fight near his home.
Police say Haynes was shot in the wrist, chest and lower back.
Haynes played at Corliss and Washington high schools in Chicago. After high school, he transferred around before playing at Indian Hills Junior College in Ottumwa, Iowa, last season.
"He was an innocent victim, very loved by everybody," Haynes' cousin, Kandice Blouin told the Chicago Sun-Times. "He was our meal ticket. He was going to heal this hood and they took his life."
Haynes, a 6-foot-7 forward, averaged 6.9 points and 4.5 rebounds for Indian Hills last season, the New York Daily News reported.
"The Iona family is devastated with the news on Michael's passing," said head coach Tim Cluess. "His passion, energy and excitement for his opportunity this year makes this tragedy even more upsetting. Our sincere condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Bill proposed to reduce night airport noise
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker
- Okla. tornado tore through 13,000 buildings
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans killed by drones
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- Curious about caviar? Class available in WeHo
- Emails show AEG exec called Jackson a 'freak' 42 min ago
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos