Phoenix mayor breaks nose at Mercury practice
A feel-good story and a photo opportunity left Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton with a broken nose.PHOENIX -- A feel-good story and a photo opportunity left Phoenix mayor Greg Stanton with a broken nose.
Stanton practiced Monday with the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury and ran drills with their practice squad. In one of the drills, Stanton went up for a rebound against the Mercury's Nakia Sanford and came down with a broken nose.
He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital for a CT scan and it was determined his nose is fractured in two places.
Stanton's office says he's in good spirits and will meet with a doctor to determine if further care is required. The mayor issued a statement saying "injuries are just part of the game -- they're battle wounds."
Stanton says he had a great time and can't wait to watch the Mercury on Sunday, their first game since the end of the WNBA's Olympic break.
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 36 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 26 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos