Penn State coach Joe Paterno viewing draws thousands of mourners
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (KABC) -- The second of two public viewings was held on Wednesday, leading up to the funeral of legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
Thousands of mourners lined up to pay their respects at a two-day public viewing for the legendary coach. A private funeral was scheduled for the afternoon.
Some waited three hours or more in the pre-dawn cold for the opportunity to pass by the Hall of Famer's casket.
Paterno died on Sunday at the age of 85. He was the winningest coach in major college football history.
Paterno was fired in November amid criticism over the handling of a sex abuse report involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.
A public memorial service is planned on Thursday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, ncaa fb
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 19 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation 1 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)