Penn State coach Joe Paterno viewing draws thousands of mourners
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (KABC) -- The second of two public viewings was held on Wednesday, leading up to the funeral of legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.
Thousands of mourners lined up to pay their respects at a two-day public viewing for the legendary coach. A private funeral was scheduled for the afternoon.
Some waited three hours or more in the pre-dawn cold for the opportunity to pass by the Hall of Famer's casket.
Paterno died on Sunday at the age of 85. He was the winningest coach in major college football history.
Paterno was fired in November amid criticism over the handling of a sex abuse report involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.
A public memorial service is planned on Thursday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, ncaa fb
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 35 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found 15 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
45 min ago