Cal WR Allen to miss spring after ankle surgery
Cal receiver Keenan Allen will miss all of spring practice following ankle surgery Thursday, coach Jeff Tedford tweeted.Just a couple of days after Cal coach Jeff Tedford said star wide receiver Keenan Allen would receive limited reps during spring practice, it turns out he's not going to get any at all.
The first-team All-Pac-12 sophomore will have ankle surgery Thursday and miss all of the spring, Tedford tweeted Wednesday. The Golden Bears start practice Tuesday.
"Keenan will miss Spring Ball due to ankle surgery tomorrow will be back for summer workouts and be fully recovered for the season Go Bears!," Tedford wrote.
According to a school spokesman, Allen injured the ankle "recently" while playing basketball. The injury occurred before Tedford spoke with the media on a conference call Monday, though the extent of the injury was not determined until late Tuesday, after Allen had met with the school's medical staff.
No further details were made available.
During Monday's conversation with the media, Tedford didn't mention any injury to the 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver, only saying that a lot of the veterans, including Allen, would be limited during the spring session to give younger players an opportunity to practice.
"Keenan will get very limited reps," Tedford said Monday.
Last season, Allen was second in the Pac-12 with 98 catches, behind USC's Robert Woods. He was just one of four receivers in the conference to average more than 100 receiving yards (103.3) a game.
He had six receiving touchdowns and totaled 1,343 yards.
Kevin Gemmell covers the Pac-12 and Stanford for ESPN.com.
- Torrance attempted burglary suspect sought 16 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- 2-year-old found with heroin in New Jersey 11 min ago
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos