Coach of the Week: Bill Redell
WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif. (KABC) -- If there's a John Wooden of high school football, Bill Redell just may be it.
Oaks Christian is Redell's last stop on a coaching carousel that started at Crespi in 1982 and has resulted in more than 200 wins.
Redell is the only head coach in the 11-year history of the private Christian school, winning seven CIF titles and a state championship along the way.
At age 69, Redell will move off to the field and into administration next year.
Some of the players he's coached include Carolina quarterback Jimmy Clausen, USC's Marc Tyler and UCLA's Malcom Jones.
Clay Mathews, who spent 19 years in the NFL and former Bruin Mike Sherrard are just two of the many assistants that bring in pro experience to a program widely considered one of the nation's elite.
When asked what some of his greatest accomplishments are, Redell didn't list any of his 213 wins. Rather, it was marrying his wife Cheryl.
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 55 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video