Coach of the Week: Dean Harrington
MISSION HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- The cornerstone to the foundation that Bishop Alemany High School football coach Dean Harrington has built his program on is discipline. It's as prevalent as chin straps and helmets.
"Every year I've been here we've had half as many penalties as our opponents," Harrington says. "That comes back to the discipline part of it. I don't have any jerks on this team. We've tried to weed out the jerks."
Harrington, who has coach at College of the Canyons, Occidental and Hart High School, is enjoying a high: in his fifth year, he's 9-0 for the first time since he arrived.
The success to Harrington's cerebral approach to offense can be seen every Sunday in the NFL.
He coached Raiders quarterback Kyle Bowler and Carolina's Matt Moore.
He taught them what he's now preaching to his young players, that team success takes precedence over individual success.
"A lot of us have been together for four years, so we're really close, we're like a family," said senior wide receiver Shane Drozdowski. "We just all bonded."
What is Harrington most proud of?
"The number of kids, we have 50 more kids in the program playing football here at Alemany," he said. "And the way they conduct themselves on the field."
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker 26 min ago
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Newlywed allegedly pushed husband to death 14 min ago
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event