Coach of the Week: Jon Ellinghouse
CHATSWORTH, Calif. (KABC) -- With a 10-1 record, Sierra Canyon High School in Chatsworth might be one of the biggest little football programs in the state that few people are familiar with.
"I think everyday in our life we're faced with an opportunity to quit or to not do something or to take the easy way out," Ellinghouse says. "You probably face that in every down of a football game."
When coach Jon Ellinghouse laid the foundation to the program in 2007, they played eight-man football.
"The most difficult part for us was when we started the program we had six kids show up to our first practice," Ellinghouse says. "We've gotten some great players that have joined the school and have done a great job here. We've got a great coaching staff and we're proud of what we've been able to accomplish in the first couple of years."
With a student body of just over 300, Sierra Canyon is ranked No. 1 among small schools in the state.
The high academic standards fuel success Friday nights.
"There's no doubt that we're able to throw more at these kids than most other football coaches around because these are bright kids that are doing great things," Ellinghouse says.
"Definitely, time management is a key thing we have to learn here as student athletes," says linebacker Caleb Nickelson.
There are only five seniors on a Trailblazers team that won eight straight to start the season and is putting up 41 points per game.
"If you told me I was going to compete in the CIF championship I would have thought you were joking," said wide receiver Shane Harrison. "But where we are today, I love my teammates and I couldn't thank them more."
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Funeral held for LAPD Officer Chris Cortijo
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- 'Mother Ditch' uncovered near downtown LA
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Epilepsy treatment uses laser to stop seizures
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2